Formative Content is a digital corporate content agency, working with some of the world’s leading B2B and corporate brands.
We bring the best of a busy newsroom to the world of corporate content- we call this brand journalism.
Our team consists of experienced business journalists and editors, an expert creative team along with a specialised social and insights team to provide our market-beating offer to clients.
As a key member of the senior management team, the Operations and Finance Director will be responsible for ensuring robust financial management and operational excellence at Formative – an employee-owned business.
Reporting to the CEO, this entrepreneurial and dynamic individual will direct, coordinate and drive the efficient performance of the finance and operations functions at Formative, supporting the ongoing commercial success of the agency.
The Operations and Finance Director sits on the executive board and oversees the on-going planning, coordination and delivery of agency output in line with agency growth goals and targets.
This individual will support the growth of the company through horizon mapping, scenario planning and working with the management team to respond appropriately to the changing landscape of digital content.
Senior Management and Board Responsibilities
- Ownership of overall financial strategy, leadership and coaching of our finance team.
- Ownership of overall operational strategy, planning and implementation in line with agency growth strategy and operations pillar
- Responsible for on-going reporting and representation of both finance and operations performance and initiatives to board against specified targets on monthly, quarterly and annual basis
- Contributes, as a Senior Management Team member, to company communications and representation of the Formative strategy, plan and progress against strategic initiatives
Operational Management and Leadership
- Accountable for all key operational metrics within Formative contributing to delivery of bottom line (EBITDA) growth through effective planning, resourcing, management and inspection of overall delivery function. These include but are not limited to; staff costs, realised target hourly rate, revenue and GP per head and billable utilisation
- Accountable for administration of the monthly operational process ensuring that required actions are identified and actioned across client accounts and delivery team resource
- Ownership of the operational tools, MI, and capabilities to enable effective planning, resourcing and reporting on key operational metrics
- Accountable for the effective resource management, financial control, ensuring profitability in line with growth plan
- Responsible for communicating operations initiatives and progress to wider company on an on-going basis
- Accountable for the implementation of key strategic initiatives across the company and effect change for managing growth within the business
People and Team
- Lead, coach and motivate direct reports and wider delivery teams to drive performance against specified operational targets and within specified thresholds of performance at individual client and company level
- Engage and educate the wider teams in best-practice and brand values in order to deliver outstanding results for all clients.
- Coach direct reports to further develop line management and cross functional management capabilities and ensure continuous focus on alignment between company objectives, team objectives and individual objectives.
- Responsible for performance management of direct reports and wider delivery team
- Responsible for increasing commercial awareness and operational focus within the delivery function, and across the whole business
- Support in developing – and maintaining – agency culture required to achieve growth plan
Client and New Business
- Support the new business function through provision of materials and guidance to ensure that new business contributes to Formative growth within the defined operational guidelines.
- Support client services teams in key upsell / cross sell opportunities from an operational and financial perspective ensuring that all new opportunities are within operational guidelines and support business growth.
Specifics of the role:-
- Managing business planning, budgeting and cashflow forecasting
- With the support of the finance team, providing accurate weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reporting, as well as reconciliation and management of P&L
- Leading the finance team to deliver seamless payroll and pensions management, invoicing and expenses
- Supplier and employee contract management
- Establish a high level of credibility and manage strong working relationships with external parties especially professional advisors, lawyers, accountants and point of contact for HMRC, Companies House etc.
- Manage Company Secretarial Records
- Manage equity re-structures, share options etc.
- Ensure that the regulatory and compliance requirements of all statutory bodies are met
- Ensure all Companies House filings are completed on time
- ACCA, ACA or CIMA qualified
- Direct experience of an employee owned business is welcomed, but not required
- Experience and deep knowledge of Xero and other financial software platforms
- Brand design and/or marketing and creative industries experience strongly preferred
- Experience in resource management, operational planning and operational delivery of services in a fast-paced sector or environment
- Technology advocate – must be comfortable using a range of software platforms, and seeking new solutions to managing operations and finance systems within the business
- Be able to analyse and deliver insights using technology, and present them clearly and effectively to team members.
What we offer:
Formative Content runs a hybrid working model, which is predominantly remote working, with the option to come into our Beaconsfield office. We’re therefore happy for our new team member to be located anywhere within the UK, on the understanding that there will be times that visits to the office will be required – up to twice a month.
In return for your talent, we will provide a great working environment. This includes clear and supportive leadership, flexible working, ongoing personal development and an unwavering commitment to enable you to thrive in your role. On top of this, we offer:
- Profit-sharing scheme
- 25 days paid holiday
- An additional day off for your birthday each year
- Private health insurance
- Two weeks of dedicated development time per year
- Individual Learning & Development plan tailored to each individual
- Life Insurance
- Employee Special Interest Groups (Green Team, DEI Working Group, Vertical Specialist)
- Support for new parents and those returning to work
- A dynamic hybrid work environment, with regular team and company wide social events
At Formative, we believe strongly in the value of creating a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you require any reasonable adjustment in our process please don’t hesitate to advise. We encourage and support equal employment opportunities for all applicants for employment without regard to sex, race, colour, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status or sexual orientation. Employment decisions are evaluated on the basis of an individual’s skills, knowledge, abilities, job performance, and other qualifications.
Recruitment Agencies please note: we do not use external third parties to assist in our recruitment process. We would appreciate absolutely no unsolicited phone or e-mail outreach at this time.